Super flavorful black bean burgers are moist, yet firm when baked. This recipe makes 8 medium burgers. I like to freeze the extra burgers by placing them in between pieces of parchment paper, inside of a freezer friendly plastic bag. When you are ready for a very quick meal on a busy weeknight, reheat the burgers by placing a small amount of oil in a sauté pan over medium heat. Place the thawed burger in the pan and gently reheat on both sides.
Servings: 8 medium burgers
- 2 cans black beans, rinsed and drained, divided
- 1 large clove garlic
- 2 egg, beaten
- 1 cup fresh bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoon green onions, thinly sliced
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced for burger
- cheddar cheese
- your favorite condiments: ketchup, mayo, mustard…
- whole wheat buns
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Pulse 1 can of black beans with garlic, eggs, breadcrumbs, cumin, oregano, sea salt and black pepper in a food processor.
- Transfer mixture to a bowl and stir in the remaining can of black beans, cilantro and green onion.
- Form the mixture into patties and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the outside is lightly brown.
Serve with Roasted Asparagus and Potato Wedges
Recipe Developed by: Chef Ashley R. Van Cise, RDN, LD