Simple, crispy, and trendy kale chips. The key to crispy kale chips is to dry the kale, as much as possible, after it is washed, in a salad spinner or with a clean towel. Use any variety of kale or a combination. The photo above contains a mixture of Dinasour, Red Russian and Curly Leaf Kale. Vary the flavor of these simple chips by adding a pinch of red pepper flakes, dried onion flakes, garlic powder or freshly ground lemon pepper with the olive oil in step 2 or top them with shaved parmesan cheese when they come out of the oven. Enjoy these chips, while knowing that they are high in antioxidants, anti-inflammatory nutrients, and anti-cancer nutrients in the form of glucosinolates.
- 1 bunch kale, washed and well dried, stem removed, leaves torn into bite sized pieces (about 12 cups)
- 1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (or any of the seasonings mentioned above)
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Place well-dried kale in a large bowl. Toss with extra virgin olive oil, salt and pepper (or other seasonings).
- Divide kale onto two sheet pans covered with parchment paper. Spread out into one layer, making sure not to overcrowd the pan.
- Bake on racks placed in the middle of the oven for 10-12 minutes, or until crisp.
- Enjoy immediately for maximum crunch.
Recipe Developed by: Chef Ashley R. Van Cise, RDN, LD