Don't be alarmed by the black beans in these brownies. Their flavor cannot be detected and their addition provides wonderful texture and added fiber. These brownies make great holiday gifts and are also a delicious addition to holiday gatherings. But honestly, I would eat these any time of the year.
Servings: 16 brownies
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 large eggs
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons cane sugar
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped crystalized ginger
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Butter an 8-inch baking pan.
- Place the black beans, eggs, melted butter, cocoa powder, salt, vanilla extract and sugar in the bowl of a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Gently stir-in chocolate chips.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared pan.
- Top with walnuts and crystalized ginger.
- Bake the brownies for 30 to 35 minutes, or until just set in the center.
- Cool before cutting into squares.
Recipe by: Chef Ashley R. Van Cise RDN, LD