Tomato season is an exciting time of year. This recipe really highlights the sweet and juicy qualities of fresh vine-ripened cherry tomatoes. It is great served warm or cold. Try adding grilled chicken or shrimp to make this recipe an entrée.
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 small sweet onion, sliced
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 cups cooked whole wheat fusilli pasta or your favorite type of pasta
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, minced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan, shredded
- Heat 1 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add onion and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until tomatoes beginning to release juices, 4-6 minutes.
- Add vinegar and remaining oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Add cooked pasta. Stir to combine.
- Garnish with fresh basil and Parmesan cheese.
Recipe Developed by: Chef Ashley R. Van Cise, RDN, LD