It utilizes cucumbers, tomatoes and lots of fresh herbs, which are readily available in gardens during summer months. Serve it chilled over a bed of salad greens and topped with sliced grilled chicken.
Servings: about 6
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups salted water
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 small cucumbers, sliced into rounds
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- Bring quinoa and salted water to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Partially cover the pot and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook quinoa until it is tender but not mushy, 10–13 minutes. Drain well.
- Place quinoa in a large bowl and allow it to sit for 15 minutes undisturbed. Fluff with a fork.
- Meanwhile, whisk lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes together in a small bowl.
- Add cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, green onion, parsley, mint and basil to the bowl with the quinoa. Pour the dressing over the mixture and stir gently to combine.
Recipe Developed by: Chef Ashley R. Van Cise, RDN, LD