This brothy soup can provide some of the fluids needed to help the body fight off viruses during cold and flu season.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium leeks, white and pale-green parts only, coarsely chopped and rinsed well
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, diced
- 3 garlic clove, minced
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 6 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 10 oz frozen cheese tortellini
- 1 ½ cups frozen green peas
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a medium stock pot over medium heat.
- Add the leeks and carrots. Sauté for about 6-8 minutes, until vegetables begin to get tender.
- Add garlic; sauté for about 1 minute.
- Add salt, pepper, vegetable broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add tortellini and cook for the amount of time recommended on the package, about 5 minutes.
- Add the peas and turn off the heat.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish each bowl with parmesan cheese and serve.