This chili contains cayenne & sweet potatoes which are two ingredients that are worth mentioning for their ability to boost your immune system. Cayenne contains capsaicin which stimulates secretions that help clear mucus from a stuffed up nose or congested lungs. Sweet potatoes are rich in Vitamin A, which is essential for healthy epithelial tissues including the mucous membranes that line the nasal passages, lungs, intestinal tract and urinary tract and serve as the body's first line of defense against invading pathogens.
Servings: about 4-6
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch Swiss Chard, stems removed and chopped, leaves torn into bite size pieces
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, cubed (about 2 ½ cups)
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- ¾ teaspoon sea salt
- 3 (15 oz) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (14 ½ oz) can diced tomatoes, in juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add Swiss chard stems (reserving leaves) and onions and sauté until soft, about 6 minutes.
- Add garlic, sweet potatoes, chili powder and cumin stir until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add beans, vegetable broth and tomatoes with juices; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer until sweet potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in chard leaves; simmer until chard is tender, about 4 minutes longer.
- Stir in vinegar.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with fresh cilantro.
Recipe Developed by: Chef Ashley R. Van Cise, RDN, LD